lambda sensor fault. badly need help please!!
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Pedders Suspension Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb lambda sensor fault. badly need help please!!

hi lads. need your help with my scoobie, its a jap wrx bugeye year:2001
    theres an engine light on in it for the past year id say since i baught it. it is failling the nct test only on lambda reading. iv baught a lambda bank 1 and also bank 2 off ebay. didnt work. i baught a bank 1 and a bank 2 off a sound genuine member on this sight and fitted them today and still no joy, im getting the faults p0031 h02s heater controll circuit low bank 1 sensor. and when i erase this i get p1131 o2 sensor circuit (short) bank 1 sensor 1 . the engine is allways running kinda shakey since iv got it and it burns a lot of fuel. i also noticed a block connector in the engine bay that has a resistor in it. i think sombody told me its where a heater sensor would plug in to measure the heat of the exhaust. can anybody help me get this light off and get the thing to pass the nct test?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: lambda sensor fault. badly need help please!!

The resistor sounds like the EGT probe bypass and its pretty common to do - plus it would give you a different set of codes. some info on the EGT resistor mod:
    http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread...pipe-6649.html

By any chance did you wire the primary and secondary (first and second bank sensors) back to front? The two sensors are different so you can't just mix and match - also did your new sensors come with wiring or did you have to cut and rejoin any wires?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1784439
    This looks interesting, by any chance would you have knocked the relay loose? Might be worth giving the relays a little push to make sure they are all properly seated!
    Last edited by bludgod; 15-10-2013 at 03:01 PM.

i dont think iv the sensors fitted opposite way round, i got them labled with which position they were to go. and they are all clip together every time i fit them. iv never used a cut and join one. this is my second set of sensors fitted and still no joy. i was thinking could a coil pack or bad spark plug give me this fault if it was not burning right?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Did you check the relay mentioned in that naisoc thread, could be some spirited driving has knocked the relay loose?

Is this the brown relay under the glove box which has a yellow and red wire comeing off it and going to the lambda sensoe? Iv checked this one and taken it off and pushed it back in and still no joy. I think I might have found somthing interisting now tho, I took out a spark plug and it was fairly black. And I wanted to see if the ecu was able to tell a misfire if a plug or coil was gone so I got an old plug and grinded off the head of the sparkplug to make sure it wouldnt spark properly and fitted it to my engine and started her up and you wouldnt notice anything, it runs exzactly the same way as its running. And I done a diagnostic check on it and it showed no misfire fault, just the o2 fault. Im going to go deeper into this tomorow and check all plugs and coils to make sure they are all working, its possible it could be an injector fault too mayby?

do you have a multimeter? Might be worth testing the O2 sensor to see whats what - you can read the resistance on the heater circuit as well and see whats up.

If you hook up a laptop with romraider/diagnostic logger can you get a reading from the o2 sensor and see what its at?

i have a multimeter here yup. ill try that now because iv spent the past hour testing the spark ignition system. and no fault with the plugs or coil packs, so thats them out of the way. i was thinking it was them because its slightly missfireing and popping a small bit, like inside the car ud feel a slight shakeing when idleing over.

Aye but remember as well without an o2 reading the car doesn't know how well the fuel is burning and with a messed up reading the car will be constantly trying to correct this as much as it can - thats why your plugs will be fouled/black and why the car will be shaking.

i just got a reading off the lambda bank 1 sensor 1 on the multimeter at 02.3 ohms. im not sure what the reading should be for subaru? i also tested the ebay sensor i removed from the car and it was reading also 02.1 ohms

The reading depends on which pins you measured across buddy - Ken Gilbert has the full workshop manual on his web page:
    http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/3%20...C%20ENGINE.PDF

Thats the link for the engine one, if you check the "Diagnostic Procedure with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)" section 18 (page 312 onwards) it covers how to test the front o2 sensor for voltage, ground, current better than I can. Just take your time and work through it, it could be a loose/poor ground at the ecu as all the sensors get their ground via the ECU?

thanks for the link! ill read through it and try test the lambda as he says to. also i was reading up on subaru owners north americia that a fella was having the same problem more or less the same and he braught it to subaru dealers and they replaced the sensor and reset the ecu and within minutes the light was back on. aparently he got another ecu after all that and fitted it to his car and it fixed the problem. he taught mayby the frayed/cut lambda sensor had shorted back through the ecu and damaged something inside, mayby this is the next step if my sensor shows up working good if i test using the link you sent me

Quote Originally Posted by bludgod View Post
    The reading depends on which pins you measured across buddy - Ken Gilbert has the full workshop manual on his web page:
    http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/3%20...C%20ENGINE.PDF

Thats the link for the engine one, if you check the "Diagnostic Procedure with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)" section 18 (page 312 onwards) it covers how to test the front o2 sensor for voltage, ground, current better than I can. Just take your time and work through it, it could be a loose/poor ground at the ecu as all the sensors get their ground via the ECU?
    Does that manuel cover all models? Eg 2003 sti?

its just the 2002 workshop manual - you can check his collection here Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com there's a few to look at.

Im beginning to think it's the ecu. Im getting 14v readings on 2 of the wires comeing off the lambda and im fairly sure one is soppost to be negative controlled by the ecu

Yeh 14v seems pretty high, check the terminals at the ecu as well and see what's what?

18. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast