The big ends thread...
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Default The big ends thread...

as above lads ive always wondered what excatly goes wrong with some subaru engines and others stay running perfect??

so i said id start a thread and ask every one who has had a problem with big ends going,
    what way you drove your car?
    did you just have it serviced?
    if so what oil did you use and did you use an oe oil filter or spurious one?
    or is it just down to bad fuel/maps creating detionation and forcing the rod bearings against the shaft?
    maybe oil pump failure?
    or a combination of the above?

what id like to do is put the facts together so a persons can read this thread and avoid the big ends going if that is possible.

any thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome
    thanks brendan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Stu

Default Re: The big ends thread...

I have a Sti Version 5 engine here, the oil pump has failed and the engine siezed.
    Considering the car was a late 98 its had a rough life.

Ive stripped a few Scoob blocks down and come across 3 failed oil pumps, another one i worked on had a blocked oil pump! There was so much sealant applied on the fitting of the pump it worked its way into the pump and jammed the plunger, shame as it was an RCM pump and cost the guy a new bottom end.

A guy i used to work with went through 2 engines in 6 months, he would get in it start her up and be flat out everywhere he went. He also bolted a 20G on the car fitted 440 injectors and drove the doors off her without it being mapped, the engine didnt like it and threw a rod out of bed.

Its apparant some engines will have mechanical failure and some will fail by user error, be that abuse or not mapping for mods fitted or incorrect assembly ie too much sealer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you stand for Nothing you will fall for Anything!

Default Re: The big ends thread...

Yeah it seems there is always a factor or user error in there,

i know the lad that destroyed my car in the projects section also a member here, had to have an engine rebuilt after about 6 months as he was using normal ul petrol and driving hard on a cold engine and to boot driving her out to the limiter all the time, this all made for a piston that sounded like it was ready to come off its rod
    Dare to be Different !

5. Posting Permissions