Has anyone removed their dump valve?
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Has anyone removed their dump valve?

Default Has anyone removed their dump valve?

Read up about this online but I thought I'd see if anyone local has done it and how they got on.
    Removing the Dump Valve and sticking a blanking plate where it used to be on the intercooler, and also a bung for the hose.
    I gather it's not great for the Turbo or Maf but has anyone on here any experience in doing it?

Matt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: Has anyone removed their dump valve?

I did it for a little while I loved the sound it made didn't do it for long as didn't want to damage anything. My turbo is a bit stronger than a standard one and is easily reconditioned (not cheap though). Just be careful as some turbos really don't like being stalled as it puts a fuck load of strain on the shaft. Worst case is it can kill your engine. Best case it'll just kill your turbo

I wouldnt risk it with the sti turbo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

What if I got a blanking plate and put a small hole in the middle and put the recirc valve on over the top, I'll still get a similar noise & it won't be just as hard on the turbo, would that sound about right?
    And Dex do you still have the blanking plate??

I have a front mount intercooler so I just put a bung where my dump valve is plumed into

I just cut a red bull tin in the shape of a circle and slipped it between them. Sounds well but mine is only a wrx so has the td04 turbo which is stronger than glen ross on roids!
    bludgod and Paul_Turbo2000 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby stu View Post
    I just cut a red bull tin in the shape of a circle and slipped it between them. Sounds well but mine is only a wrx so has the td04 turbo which is stronger than glen ross on roids!
    Ahhhh that's good thinking! Plus is wouldn't look dead weird because you can't see it!
    Hmmmmmm....

I ran the RA with no DV on the TD05 with no problems at all
    QUOTE by Scubbay - Hit the backroads 12 at night window down and nurspec singing. Job done.
    Project WRX - Will she ever go again ?

What does removing the dv do? Different noise? No noise? Basically why do it? Sorry for the stupid noob question, just curious

diff kind of noise and the vf turbos really do not like it if u have them blanked off they will spit the dummy out

Td turbos can take it running dumpvalve-less majority of vf turbo's dont like it - as far as i can rem its to do with the vf turbo being a roller bearing turbo

different sound but for me the car felt far more snappier between gears

When I had mine blanked it made gear changes feel jerky. To be honest its pointless.

hah - i made a template of my dump valve gasket the other night and have the tin snips here I was thinking about doing this on my TD05 for a bit of crack. When I had the baileys dump valve on it seemed like it would stay shut around 10psi so you could hear a bit of light chatter then when you get above that it would make the full woosh sound so I'm hoping for something similar but with proper boost when the blanking plate is installed.

I was also thinking about cutting/drilling a vent hole in the middle so some pressure can escape through the standard bypass valve to have some kind of compromise between chatter and turbo death.

Also 2nd what Gambit saying about TD's and VF's any of the threads I red on scoobynet all agree that TD's will be grand and VF's will probably die sooner.

LEE

Works fine on the tdo series turbos and MD turbos Matt not safe on vf turbos so wouldn't risk it mate and looks like she's staying then from we last spoke???

Quote Originally Posted by scoob demon View Post
    Works fine on the tdo series turbos and MD turbos Matt not safe on vf turbos so wouldn't risk it mate and looks like she's staying then from we last spoke???
    I was thinking I could run it for a while, would probably get bored of it pretty quick anyway lol.
    Or as others have suggested to put a small hole in the blanking plate and fit the recirc valve ontop so it can still partly do its job.
    Yeah looks like I may be able to keep her a little longer
    scoob demon likes this.

18. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast