Putting cat c damaged car back on road question
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Putting cat c damaged car back on road question

My car was classed as a cat c damage by the insurance company after it was stolen, as I am starting to repair it I was wondering if there is anything else other than a new mot that I need to do to put it back the road. The damage wasn't too bad and as I bought two drivers side doors in silver last night for £50 it shouldn't be long till its ready again. Oh and one other thing is it a legal requirement to have a key switch as I was going to fit a different security device and have the ignition on a toggle switch with a starter button.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: Putting cat c damaged car back on road question

I think that you need to have the car assessed by an approved insurance provider to deem that the car is road worthy and legal.
    For sale: Wife & 3 kids to fund my Impreza addiction...

Well that's what I was thinking matey but I've also been told that that's what an mot is for so I'm a bit confused and not sure who actually deals with this type of thing lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Insurance Technician david edgar's Avatar

You book it in for a VIC vehicle identity check test at Lisburn MOT. Once it has passed that you are given a tax book and you can mot and tax it again and put it on the road. The only people that may want an independent engineers report on the car are your insurance company. Its all very easy to do

Is it legal to drive the car to the test centre?

No as long as it is roadworthy I think. But ask them. Any time I have done it I have used trade plates to cover me

I did get the original tax book back from insurance company, they (Paceward) told me that I may need to get an engineers report done but a new mot may suffice and it's just down to insurance company. Think I will try dvlni again lol just to make sure lol

Good idea. Give the DVLNI a ring as Paceward may be refering to what is required on the mainland. As you are aware things over differ from over there.
    For sale: Wife & 3 kids to fund my Impreza addiction...

Hopefully this time I will get someone who knows what they doing cuz the last time I phoned they told me they didn't know and they hadn't heard of anyone doing it before. So sorry I ever made a claim but I thought that was the reason I payed the £1000 !!!!!

this happened to me with my gf's clio. it was a CAT C write off which we repaired & put back on the road. we still had the original tax book also

it had to get VIC tested & MOT'd - no need for any other reports. existing tax book will be considered null & void once you attempt to re tax as their will be a VIC marker on the car. only by passing the VIC will you get the marker removed & a new tax book issued

I have literally done countless cat c cars and put them back on road. FACT old tax book no good if cat c only if cat D can original tax book be used FACT you need to book a VIC test first and foremost. FACT once VIC test passed mot can be applied for. Once mot and tax is done car is 100% legal. Insurance may want an engineer report but they is up to the insurers discreation and not a legal requirement to put car back on road. If cat d just needs re mot'd and taxed.

Yes gambit. Spot on mate What he said lol

Thanks for the info people, what annoys me the most is the fact wrights accident repair quoted £3500 to repair my car even though the damage was only minimal and I just got two doors for £50 so only really need some filler and paint to make it respectable again. I hoped my insurance would have fixed the car so that's why I made a claim. Never again will I have fully comp insurance!!! Just not worth it. Anyway shouldn't be long till my baby is fixed cuz she's worth it lol

Stu

David has not mentioned it and I don't want to pish on your party but although it can go through Vic etc insurance companys can decline to insure it. I had a mate spend quite alot of money putting a cat c back on the road Vic test followed by engineers report then still declined insurance since broken for parts . Start ringing round for qoutes

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Its usually the insurance company that paid out on the car that wont re-insure with the claimant. Other companies should be fine. Theres lots of cat c cars back on the road. Cat B is for parts only.
    -Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

18. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast