Project Impreza... will she ever go again ??
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Project Impreza... will she ever go again ??

Default Project Impreza... will she ever go again ??

Picked up this impreza a few months ago , have had loads on so its sat around for a while , but got a chance to get looking at it this week and took a few pics as i went.
    Car is a MY97 WRX impreza , it took a very hard shunt to the center front so was bought with the intention of a quick strip down to gauge the damage and then either strip it for parts or fix for the craic.
    Story was a young fella owned it and apparently ran out of talent and mounted a traffic island and smashed into a pole.

Pulled the bonnet off and bent some of the rough bits back to get a bit of room to work, needless to say both the rad and air con rad are scrap, O/S pulleys are both smashed and sump mangled, thermostat housing burst, modine ripped off and thats on first inspection.

Realising there was gonna be a good bit of work in this one way or another i figured i better read up the shed a bit before i start

Last edited by bigsigh; 12-05-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    QUOTE by Scubbay - Hit the backroads 12 at night window down and nurspec singing. Job done.
    Project WRX - Will she ever go again ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: Project Impreza... will she ever go again ??

Stick an end tag on the trailing img Simon

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Got a bit of industrial shelving to try and store things a bit better

Tidy up, brush out, roll car in and get ready to start

Pulled a few more of the ancilleres off the engine and get ready to pull the lump

Was supposed to get the lend of an engine crane but that didn’t materialise and i couldn’t wait about so just pulled in the big guns

QUOTE by Scubbay - Hit the backroads 12 at night window down and nurspec singing. Job done.

Got the lump up out of the way and roll the shell back outta the road

Pulled the clutch off and got the engine on the stand

In the mean time had a look about the shell to uncover a number of horrors,
    The thump had forced the engine back so hard it broke the rear engine stabiliser , snapped the clutch slave cylinder, bent the front subframe, cracked the steering rack, not to mention the ham fisted tard that mangled the clutch fork pivot mount in side the bell housing.
    At this point im strongly considering this as a breaker rather than a fixer, but we will plough on for now.

Pulled the turbo, alt. , aircon pump

Pulled the inlet mani and got everything filed away

The cam pulleys on the driver side have totally disintegrated, the pass side are intact but obviously with not tension ont he belt will have been free to spin,

so im expecting at the very least to see some bent valves , and worst cast broken valve damaged piston and scored bore. On with the strip down...
    water crossover off

Then flip er over to get the headers off , severity of the damage is evident, mangled sump, wrecked modine

And then the killer blow , as the modine has ripped off it had torn a chunk off the casing that it threads into

Anyway thought since i was in this far i might as well take a look at the damage inside, so made a start on the driver side which had the smashed pulleys,

Totally shocked to see no sign of contact or damage to the pistons at all , the hone marks are stll visible on the bores and the valves also have no sign of any interference or damage.

Went on ahead to see what the driver side was like, only to discover the same on the other side...

So ths s where im at now, dunno where to go with it yet just weighing up the options,

keep her lit mate. if you are fixing her i have some parts , front subframe +rack ,and other odds .

Thanks mate , have a subby waitin to go in , and a rack or two lying about me , will need passenger wing and repair panels from front and thing I have near everything else , funds are right with wedding on the horizon but its more of a tinker toy than a job with a deadline lol

This is the start of a great build thread keep the updates flowing as and when available.
    Cheers, Brian
    Tandragee

Excellent write up Simon, will be watching this thread with interest.
    INFRACTION ISSUED. For liking 3 spoke Alloys

Stu

Glad to see you finally got stuck into her. Budget will dictate however be good to see it live again. Produce a list of what you need the parts are bound to be easy sorced of here.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you stand for Nothing you will fall for Anything!

Quote Originally Posted by J_MC_G View Post
    Stick an end tag on the trailing img Simon
    Cheers John Boy, was just copy pasting from another forum and SI didnt like the space before the closing tag, so did a find replace and missed out the slash lol, dummy i am

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
    This is the start of a great build thread keep the updates flowing as and when available.
    Thanks brian, hopefully will be able to keep the updates coming, progress will be dictated by budget etc. apparently flowers and photographers are priority lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Excellent write up Simon, will be watching this thread with interest.
    Thanks Jaybo

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Glad to see you finally got stuck into her. Budget will dictate however be good to see it live again. Produce a list of what you need the parts are bound to be easy sorced of here.
    Yea if i can get her going mechanically then ill look to sort the body , oil cooler mount worries me , what you recon ?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by bigsigh View Post

Yea if i can get her going mechanically then ill look to sort the body , oil cooler mount worries me , what you recon ?
    Very hard to see from the pics, are the threads completely gone? If you can remove the broken part a repair may be possible using lumiweld but its not easy to use! A block would not cost much and typically i skipped a few in Jan there. However i gave a block to another site member and he is not using it so i could potentially get it back lol. I think it was rear thrust though yours would probably be centre thrust going off the MY.

Its typical i had stuff lying for months and nobody wanted it so it went to the big skip.

Looks like the LHS Leg is out of shape?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    If you stand for Nothing you will fall for Anything!

18. Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast