Last weekend saw Jonathan Cunningham (26) of Workington take the overall championship title of the M-Sport Ford Fiesta Sporting Challenge series.* The crew were taking part in the Isle of Man International Rally and with the event split into two separate events over two days the young talent originally from Galway, Ireland only needed to finish one of the day’s action to take overall victory, which he duly completed and was crowned FSC champion at the Isle of Man TT Grandstand early on Saturday afternoon.

Navigator Richard Millener (26) also from Workington climbed back up the co-drivers leader board to the top spot but after missing the previous round of the series and with a drop score still to take into consideration he will not know if he has won the co-drivers title until after the next round in Ulster in August.

The event saw two days of tough competition and with the weather on the island the worst the event has seen for the last few years, heavy rain and fog interspersed with dry clear conditions it would make the event even more difficult than usual!* The day one event saw Cunningham and Millener make a solid start despite the wrong tyre choice on the first loop of stages, arriving into service in 5th overall and 1st Fiesta.* After service the pairing were the only crew to go out on the correct wet tyres as everyone else chose a slick tyre and with heavy rain on the stages the young duo would take their first stage win of the event and with it move up to 4th overall.* Stage 6 of the event however would see disaster strike, exiting a hairpin the Fiesta ST would break both driveshaft’s without warning instantly ending the day for a gutted Cunningham and Millener.

Back at service the car was repaired in only a few hours and the crew were more than aware that the pressure was now really on for the second day event.* They knew all they had to do was finish and to add a further hurdle it was the last event they could score points on as the championship forces crews to nominate either the Isle of Man event or the Ulster event in Ireland in August as a points scoring round.* With the Workington crew choosing the Manx, the second day event had to be completed or their title bid would be over.* With this in mind the tension in the car between the usually laid back crew was unusually high as there was so much at stake.* With the second event consisting of 8 stages including a bumpy and fast 17 mile test it would not be an easy day.* The crew though took the day incredibly steady and managed to guide their trusty Fiesta ST to the finish to take glory in the series as well as still showing they could be quick by setting another fastest overall time during the event.*

Back at the finish at the TT Grandstand both crew members and all of their service crew were ecstatic at the result.* An incredibly tough season has seen the crew take three outright victories and now championship glory in only their first full year competing together, an incredible achievement.

The championship victory sees the pair win the top prize of competing on the Trackrod International Rally Yorkshire in September in a fully paid M-Sport run Ford Fiesta R2.* The R2 Fiesta is a huge step up in performance compared to the usual ST the crew are used to.* The 160hp R2 Fiesta is based on the new shape Fiesta model and boasts a 5 speed sequential gearbox and fully adjustable Reiger Suspension as used by the Focus World Rally Cars.* The crew are really looking forward to the chance to now compare their times to crews competing in the British Rally Championship in September.

The Manx event also sees Cunningham and Millener move up the standings in the BRC Challenge series, with Cunningham 3rd overall and leading the Class RC3 standings whilst Millener is 5th overall in the co-driver standings and 1st Co-Driver in Class RC3.*

Despite the end of the Fiesta series the pairing still have a busy year ahead of them intending to compete on some more Irish events to try and wrap up the Irish Junior Championship.* Hopefully the pairings successes will continue as the year progresses.

Driver Jonathan Cunningham said:
“I am absolutely over the moon to win the championship at my first attempt.* I have always wanted to compete in a single make competitive series and the M-Sport run championship is exactly that.* It offers a level playing field and to know my driving has won me the series is even more pleasing.* I am so excited about the prize on offer to me and can’t wait to drive the R2.* All in all an absolutely amazing weekend!”

Navigator Richard Millener said:
“I am really happy for Jonny and the win, hopefully I will win the navigators section of the series too but I will have to wait until August and see what happens in Ulster with the other crews before I know.* The Manx though was a tough event especially with the disappointment of the first day.* The second day we took so steady, I don’t think I have ever been so slow on an event before! We drove sensibly though and did what was needed to secure the championship, I can’t wait to take up the prize drive!”

Details on the FiestaSport Challenge can be found at www.fiestasporttrophy.co.uk

More...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!