Dedicated Sprint/Hillclimb Thread
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Dedicated Sprint/Hillclimb Thread

Default Dedicated Sprint/Hillclimb Thread

To all of those with 'weekend' Scoobies who want to use them in anger.

This is much more straightforward than you would imagine.

Suggest you go along to an event to see how it is run. Lists of dates and venues have been posted.

Introduce yourself to one of the Subaru drivers (almost all of whom are ScoobyIreland members).

Apply for a license: Link to MSA licence application page:

http://www.msauk.org/custom/asp/spla...sp?chapter=193

You need to get a starter pack and have read through it then contact Richard Young at Kirkistown ((02842771325) or contact Richard first and he will be able to talk you through the application process in detail).

You will need to join a motor club. A list of these can be found on the Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs website (Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs)

The only equipment that you need is: helmet, gloves and overalls. Fire extinguishers, fancy tyres and suspension, roll cages and 6 million horse power not necessary.

McGrady's in Downpatrick will sort your insurance if you want to insure your car specifically for events.

Some of the hill climbs require a roll cage for all cars.

I'm sure I speak for all of the members on this site who currently participate in sprints and hill climbs when I say that any of us would be happy to take pm's about getting started. The more the merrier.

D
    Last edited by Stu; 09-05-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: additions
    ye ha, s_kidd2008 and Wild Thing like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: Getting started in sprints and hill climbs

Good idea David. Could one of the mods please sticky this thread as there is quite a few who will be requiring the links above in the coming months as far as I know.
    i have no problems trying to help out anyone via pm also.
    iv been speaking to quite a few who are interested in giving it a bash, will be some crack if we get a good squad of competitors.
    Suck my balls

Just to add, joining a motor club can be done at the first sprint/hill that you compete at.

also site sponsor green light is very competitive for the insurance end aswell, that's who covers my own car.
    ye ha likes this.
    Suck my balls

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Great advise David and Paul and i love your enthusiasm for the sport , the only thing i can add is come down to one of the events advertised and watch , listen and enjoy the craic and go away armed with the knowledge whats involved and if its for you and take it from there ;-D

Did my first sprint about 2 weeks ago and its certainly allot cheaper than rallying tbh. For the full day it worked out at £100 including Fuel although im running a 2ltr Clio 172 so not as hard on the Juice.

Its a fun sport and plenty of craic to be had. I intend to do the full Hill & Sprint champs so keep and eye out for the pocket rocket lol
    ye ha likes this.

JC Motorsport With Birch Motors, Blackwater Graphics, RJ's Car Restoration, PPP-Group, Gordon Automotive, Maxsport Tyres, Spoox, ICMA, Cobra Seats.

Really tempted to give it a go myself at some point. Proper trackdays to england ran to around 500 a trip and took whole weekends there and back.

'01 WR Blue WRX Stage3, next up...Annual Carwash!

Thanks guys for picking up on this from my thread last night, some good info. Next question noise regs my exhaust system would be on the same power as a nurs spec roughly will it pass db testing
    Cheers, Brian
    Tandragee

LEE

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
    Thanks guys for picking up on this from my thread last night, some good info. Next question noise regs my exhaust system would be on the same power as a nurs spec roughly will it pass db testing
    As long as ur db are below 105 db i think all is well dude

I have no way of testing it but I would think it would be near it or over it depending on the way it is tested. Problem is car flys on it but very loud.
    Cheers, Brian
    Tandragee

LEE

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
    I have no way of testing it but I would think it would be near it or over it depending on the way it is tested. Problem is car flys on it but very loud.
    Iv no idea myself how they test it i got her brother to test mine on his phone probley not correct but each time i tryed it on tick over it read 98db every time we tryed it lol, i have a 3in vortex system on mine also witch is pretty loud on full chat

At the sprints they do a test where you rev car to about 4000 RPM we passed ok with a Nur Spec without bung
    scoob demon likes this.

^^me too, passed with nur spec but wouldn't say it's ever a cert you'll get running with one on.
    scoob demon likes this.
    Suck my balls

I haon noiseyet.ven't seen anyone fail
    scoob demon likes this.

LEE

Quote Originally Posted by The Wagon View Post
    I haon noiseyet.ven't seen anyone fail
    Stop shotting urself up Doc pmsl

OMG, too many Crabbies......

With regards to costs for this type of event, most entry fees are about £80-85.

Petrol costs will vary vehicle to vehicle obviously. Insurance and road tax I carry on the car already, so don't count these as part of my event expenses. Standard road tyres are legal in class 3. When you have as much power as the Lankeys, you'll probably need slicks

Brakes will depend on what you have on and how hard you drive. I run on standard STi discs (with gold Brembo calipres and DS2500's on the front) and they cope fairly well with my driving, even though the wagon weighs in pretty heavy (esp with me in it).

Harder driving probably requires more frequent oil changes so if you wanted to factor that in as well....

As I run on road tyres and drive to and from events, all in all, each event probably costs me about £140-£150, depending on how many sausage suppers my little fella consumes.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob demon View Post
    Stop shotting urself up Doc pmsl
    scoob demon likes this.

18. Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast