deisel drivers - advise.
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: deisel drivers - advise.

Adam

Default deisel drivers - advise.

So the Seat Leon I am looking at turned out to be a 1.6 petrol non FR. Its as dead as a dodo , but I don't need the power but worry I'd miss it. The spec is the same as the subaru (air con , electrics etc).
    It's a 2010 car , but I've found an 08 and 09 versions that are FR deisel for the same rough price. Now the FRs are a higher spec and obviously a more powerful engine (TD of some description). I'm not interested in modifying or tuning the engine.

Now , my question is - I only do 3/4k miles a year , all short journeys. With deisels is that a good idea ? Is is still worth doing to get the higher spec and power?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: deisel drivers - advise.

Adam I bought a diesel Insignia a few years ago and only doing approx 8000 miles a year. I took the car back after only a couple of months to get the DFP regenerated and was told to sell up (by the dealer mind you) as I wasn't doing enough miles to allow for the DFP to work properly. My daily commute was only 10 miles both ways. So I sold it and bought a 1.4 petrol Seat Ibiza. Still doing the same amount of miles, still getting 34-38mpg and it costs me less each month to fill than the diesel did.

If it is only to nip to the shops in around town and you are not doing long journeys then petrol over diesel every time.
    For sale: Wife & 3 kids to fund my Impreza addiction...

2004 Golf 2.0 TDI with the PD140 here and i can rock 50mpg all day long so long as I dont let the lead feet kick in - the older PD engines dont have a DPF to worry about, just the cat and are very reliable if looked after properly (like any car I guess). Guy at my work has a Leon FR with the newer CR (dpf based) engine and I think its a much nicer engine to live with (better spread of torque I think). He's mostly short journeys and had no issues with his DPF, just give it some motorway time when it asks for a regen to happen and your good to go after a few minutes.

If its just for popping around town then as StevenSTI says a small petrol would probably do the job just as well, I was very happy wtih my old Starlet for bopping around city center - but you couldn't beat the smart car for parking!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

If thats all the miles you do then keep the Subaru

Adam

Its just feels pointless tootling around in a +300bhp car , with a rare blast now and again. But the 1.6 petrol felt so dead I wasnt sure if my test drive was to conservative , at 4k revs it was screaming (to my ears) and feel like I'll be revving the ****** out of it the whole time.I dont "need" more power , just dont want something pathetic either.

For the same price I can get the better spec'd sporty deisel , as long as it isn't damaging it due to low miles. Do they just need a good blast now and again ? I can do that rightly !

LEE

Just keep the scooby in that case Adam. some nice xxr rims jobs a goodin

Adam

Its better off with someone who will appreciate it , and drive it properly !

At them miles per year don t buy a diesel waste of money. Get a petrol dpf will more than likely give you problems and the cost of fixing anything on a diesel ie turbo etc just not worth the hassle.

I have had my subaru from new so its 7 year old and just 30k on it. I often think of selling and buying a diesel but then I catch myself on. You could be buying someone elses problems and for all you would save on fuel hardly worthwhile

Adam

So would a 1.6 petrol be ok ? My last car was a 1.4 focus but I don't remember it being that dead. The last 4 years I've been in the subaru or the TD work van , so maybe it'll take a bit of getting used to being turboless.

LEE

If your not bothered with the power loss work away man work away and good luck

Adam

in my head i dont mind the power loss , but in reality its nice to have a wee bit if needed. The other factor is for what ever reason the ones i have seen that are a far better spec just happen to be diesels. I dont necessarily want a diesel , but i dont mind if it is, just to get a better spec for my money.

Get a corsa and stick a big wing on it a fat exhaust that way you will think you still have a fast car.
    For sale: Wife & 3 kids to fund my Impreza addiction...

The wife drives a 3.0 tdi a4 as our family car and would regularly do short journeys so every now and then I take it out to blow the cobwebs out of it and never had any issues, touch wood, in the last 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSTi View Post
    Get a corsa and stick a big wing on it a fat exhaust that way you will think you still have a fast car.
    Trail the air box out and stick a pair of tights over the intake pipe and she'll probably be quicker than an wrx, sti might be a bit harder to beat and require some neons underneath

18. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast