Where to start tuning??Help!!
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Where to start tuning??Help!!

Default Where to start tuning??Help!!

Ok the time has come to start tuning my Turbo Sportwagon. The car has already had work done on the suspension and exterior. Thats the way I bought it. I want to start tinkering with engine now. I'm after help on where to start and who to get parts off. I was thinking of bigger Intercooler probably still top mount, K&N Panel Filter, De-Cat in centre section and re-map. Also today my radiator decided to let go so I was thinking of an aluminium replacement. If I decided to uprate turbo what should I go for. Looking for parts for all this and loads of advice and help. Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: Where to start tuning??Help!!

Like for like replacement rad fella, they do a grand job. 50-60 quid on ebay will sort it, plus postage.
    Is it a classic or newage wagon? newage will have three cats where the classic will have less. If you are shooting for 300+ numbers and a larger turbo, dont forget injectors too, again dependent on what you are currently running.

'01 WR Blue WRX Stage3, next up...Annual Carwash!

Depends on budget essentially mate
    Murray-Motorsport likes this.
    Suck my balls

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

And if you are planning to make it go, you may also need to budget for a brake upgrade so it can stop too and suspension tweaks to cope with the power.
    People who drive faster than me are maniacs and those who drive slower are idiots!

It's a classic model with standard bhp. I'm pretty impressed as it is but if I could see 280bhp or so I would be happy with that. I assume 300+bhp is mega money figures? Could I see much for 1000 euro? Brakes is something I hadn't considered but thanks for pointing that out.

To be honest the difference between 280ish and 300 isnt massive, for 1000 you could well get to 285 or so on the stock turbo.

What year mate? If it has a td04 turbo, you could see 320bhp for little money ( well inside 1k) if its the later vf series turbo youll be lucky to get to 300.
    Have to say, i disagree with what robert has said. I ran somewhere between 400-450bhp on standard brakes and standard suspension (1998 model) on track with no problems. What i will say is that the brake fluid will boil after multiple laps, but this is down to standard fluid being pish and not the actual brakes, they pull up reasonably quick if you stand on them.
    Suck my balls

And model?
    Suck my balls

Quote Originally Posted by octanejunky View Post
    What year mate? If it has a td04 turbo, you could see 320bhp for little money ( well inside 1k) if its the later vf series turbo youll be lucky to get to 300.
    Have to say, i disagree with what robert has said. I ran somewhere between 400-450bhp on standard brakes and standard suspension (1998 model) on track with no problems. What i will say is that the brake fluid will boil after multiple laps, but this is down to standard fluid being pish and not the actual brakes, they pull up reasonably quick if you stand on them.
    I disagree about the vf series turbo paul... All the vf series turbos will easily make 300+ with a remap! Your car was just a dose until u made it what it is now! I will agree on the 4 pots though ive refurbed mine and added the 2pot rears and jumped on them a few times was impressed...
    Last edited by scoobyride; 27-01-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Depends what vf. The standard ones are a dose of schnite. Agreed my car was a full wreck before i got it, but there is many deltadash dreamers on here too.
    petedotuk likes this.
    Suck my balls

I think the vf 35 makes good power but aint standard on classics???
    Suck my balls

Agreed deltadash may not be fully accurate but nor is a rr? Or just strapping a big turbo on and saying its 400+... The vf35 is from the blob sti a very good upgrade for a classic and lots about now at reasonable money. Wildthing on the site had his uk mapped with one fitted and produced the berrys!

The car is year 2000 and is a Sportwagon Turbo UK Spec. How can I tell what turbo I have? I'm not looking for mental figures but if 300bhp is acheivable then that sounds fantastic.

Chances are its a td04. As I said before, dont be chasing the 300 figure just because. You could either end up with a highly strung motor struggling to make 300 or a very easy 310 depending on which route you go down.

By highly strung, I mean your injectors and turbo will be pushing beyond their efficient levels. Remap and decat really, cheap but could well self destruct if pushed too far. JGM can advise better ref the remap figures though.
    By very easy 300, you will have replaced turbo, injectors, exhaust system etc.. expensive but probably more reliable in the long run.

td04 will only hit 280bhp max.

18. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast