turbo upgrade for classic
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: turbo upgrade for classic

Default turbo upgrade for classic

If i go down the route of upgrading the turbo on my 99 turbo 2000, what options do i have? From what i can see, td05 or vf35 keep popping up when i search on google. what has other members done? My immediate plans are decat, panel filter, walbro pump and remap. but after that i know the power bug will bite again!

Will it be a case of td05/vf35 and then remap again? Or is more needed than that for 300+ bhp? Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: turbo upgrade for classic

I would also suggest ported headers and tmic upgrade. I have same mods as above only on a jdm wrx and putting 340 somewhere (according to bob rawle) on a vf23
    Paul_Turbo2000 likes this.

for a classic I'd say go front mount, either of those turbos and what you've listed there plus fuel pressure regulator and/or bigger injectors with a decent map on and you'll be kicking up a storm.

If your looking at TD05 units then read the full details, big difference between a 16g, big16g, 18g, 20g.

Also worth checking out the andy forrest site as a bit of a shopping list for what power you might expect:
    AndyForrestPerformance

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

I recently purchase a Zensport TD05 20G turbo, capable of 400+bhp.
    I will be putting it up for sale shortly as I am unable to keep it
    s_kidd2008 and Paul_Turbo2000 like this.

For the power he is looking would a newage sti tmic not be a better option

newage tmic would mean moving the resevoir as well though and considering some people think an STI top mount is worth its weight in platinum sometimes the front mount kit is cheaper and easier. Plus you can idle in traffic without worrying about heatsoak and you don't have to worry about building an intake scoop to deflect air into the intercooler to make it work.

Subaru Impreza Classic GC8 (93-96) Front Mount Intercooler Kit

£299 brand new - probably half that or less if you look around for it (ebay/scoobynet/here) - sure you'd pay 100/150 for an STI top mount then you have to get a bonnet undertray made up for it and wrestle with it.

If you only want to get into the 300hpish zone then yeh stick with the topmount or pickup a newage WRX topmount they will be a little bigger than the one fitted but not so big as to mess with things. Probably get a newage WRX topmount for what - £50 quid?
    Last edited by bludgod; 17-12-2014 at 12:28 PM.

newage wrx intercooler is rated at 350bhp - straight fit for £50. coupled with prodrive/sti/silicone Y-pipe
    s_kidd2008 and bludgod like this.

I have newage sti tmic in mine tho I thought thought with later models it's similar dv? And as Craig said prob looking about 50 quid for tmic. I know Davy murray has a few wrx and sti ones

As for injectors I'm not sure 99 - 00 ik cars came with but not had to find a set of 440's

DV flange is different between MY99/00 and newage cars. so you need the newage DV to go with newage IC

or an ebay budget jobby or just block it off entirely. Car should be fitted with 440's so FPR should get them into the 300hp zone with a small 16g or a VF. 550's would be better along with a MAF deleting ECU (simtek/alcatek type thing) so your not eating maf's every 2 months with the erhmahgurd awerschum airflow

Some great posts and advice here! Ive been keeping an eye out for a classic sti tmic...missed a type r one for about a tenner the other day! So are any of these turbos a direct replacement for my td04? I think its front entry...seen a td05 for sale but its top entry...big job to make fit?? Thanks for all the help

You can get a front entry conversion kit for them but your as handy holding out for a front entry. Got my big 16g on ebay for under 200 brand spanking toyosports finest been going well for over a year now!

If your interested in a newage wrx tmic give me a shout - my old one is sottin in the garage unloved! Still think front mount makes more sense if your going for bigparrhai

I ve got a front entry td05 So I do if your interested was changed from top entry by oma ...It s a 16 g also have 440s but your car should have them already.

My car was about 320-340 bhp possibly was 1.4 bar Boost, nice for a road car. I'd a front mount intercooler on mine as well, but I wouldn t go for 20g turbo
    bludgod and Paul_Turbo2000 like this.

16g - frontmount - excellent roadcar. I think that sums it up nicely!

But dont discount your humble stock td04 - 280 hp is lots in a road car and the td04 is very quick to spool with a decent midrange punch!

Thanks again. Was always going to map the car on my stock td04...but thinking it might make more sense to fit a td05 and fmic and only map it once? Obviously the map would be immediately after fitting these bits as i imagine it would run like ****!

So it anyone running a td05 and fmic on a uk classic? What is spool up like? When does boost kick in?

18. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast