18" wheels on a classic
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By scoob demon
  • 1 Post By octanejunky
  • 1 Post By Dr_Cheese

Thread: 18" wheels on a classic

Default 18" wheels on a classic

I've been told a few times that 18s on a classic ruin the handling but is there anything that can be done to correct handling after. Only asking as most classic track cars run 18s and have no problems. I would prefar to fit 18s but don't want to ruin the car as they handle so sweetly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

LEE

Default Re: 18" wheels on a classic

Iv a genuine prodrive manual here an they explain it in proper terms with the differences between 16" 17" an 18"s ur more than welcome to barrow it sometime sure , an it explain's everything you will need to know from road use til track use also ok bud
    gfunk-legacy likes this.

I was advised to keep 17's on mine for track use, thou I don't know the in's and out's of it

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Heard it supposedly ruins the handling but been in a few and tbh never noticed any difference with 18'... Looks nice also

Mine has 18s and I would say that it ruins the ride rather than the handling , looks the shiznitizle though

with the 18's on mine i've never noticed any difference with the handling

A little bit off topic guys but even on my Hawk I notice the ride is much softer on 17's than 18's. The change in tyre profile from 45 to 40 makes a noticeable difference to the harshness of the ride. The cornering is tighter on the 18's though. Worth speaking to OMA or Ali Burrows to see if they reckon a geo set up would preserve the ride quality and handling.

I have a set of 18's taken them off only due to the 18s having such a small profile compared to to my 17s which makes driving with my coilovers very bumpy.
    When I had lowering springs had no problem with the 18's

My 18s handled ok on track, the problem was i was restricted to low profile tyres to get them to fit at a decent ride height, this caused problems on setting a decent tyre pressure for different conditions. I changed to 17 and havent looked back even know i had to raise the car a bit. Its hard to explain but i definatly prefer the 17s and to be honnest a wee bit more suspension travel seems to work well on local tracks/hills. The newage cars would be a different story tho with larger arches therefore less restrictions and 18 should be fine except tyres are more expensive haha!
    scoob demon likes this.
    Suck my balls

Bodge Mechanic

Scoobyrides old 18" I have aren't bad, handling decent enuf without geo setup but can push the nose a wee bit but scobe rear arches bigtime that's y I'm gettin mine rolled, check offset and for god sake do not got 35 profile if you've stuff suspension like the RA you'll feel every single bump or minor pothole on the road n you'll be shaken to pieces but then again I like it stiff n hard :-)
    scoob demon likes this.
    In the land of the Giants, everyone is equal

i'm runnin 225/40 tyres on my 18's and yes arches need rolled too but ride really isnt that bad and i have a geo done mr burrows

14. Posting Permissions