Intermittent Check Engine light
Welcome to ScoobyIreland.com.
Jolly Green Monster Blackwater Graphics Evo Ireland Murray Motorsport -Performance Car Preparation, Parts and Servicing

Peter Smith

Default Intermittent Check Engine light

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice before i take a look at the scoob. Basically my 98 classic has sat for about a month or maybe a little longer. I broke my leg and the wife has just given birth to our first son so the family diesel has been getting the miles. Anyways since firing her back up after a thoroughly dead battery ive had a couple of CELs. They seem to come with a lack of boost mostly in 3rd but sometimes in 2nd aswell. I went and put some fresh super unleaded in an took her for a gentle run up the motorway and all has been fine. Happened once or twice tonight but 90% of the time ok.

I havent read a code or taken a look at anything yet since im still not 100% mobile with the leg but has any1 any ideas what i should be looking at? Im thinking a sticky probably dirty boost solenoid.

Thanks for your help in advance lads. If it helps my car is bone stock, standard BOV etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Default Re: Intermittent Check Engine light

Youd need the code really. But if its been lying up & its intermittant, id take a stab at the knock sensor

you can get the fault code by connecting the connectors up under the steering column

Being in dungannon you are on Ali Burrows doorstep

5. Remove Advertisements
    Scooby Ireland
    Advertisements

Peter Smith

Thanks for the reply Gambit, Ill have a read of the codes on saturday. Seems really strange because i drive it first thing in the morning and its fine, and in the evening after work its fine. But then when i pop out in it around 8pm when its dark i then get the check engine light.

Ill get back to you.

could be low battery voltage, when your driving in the evening with the lights on vs during the day with less bits turned on?

Peter Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bludgod View Post
    could be low battery voltage, when your driving in the evening with the lights on vs during the day with less bits turned on?
    Interesting point, The battery had died good and proper. ill check that too

You say it comes on when you pop out in the dark, could it be ye just dont notice it flashing during the day time?

Peter Smith

Quote Originally Posted by scooby stu View Post
    You say it comes on when you pop out in the dark, could it be ye just dont notice it flashing during the day time?
    Since the first time it happened ive paid attention for it and definitely hasnt happened during my daily drives. Ill keep an eye tho an make sure.

flick the headlights, heater fan, rear defogger, fog lights, driving lamps, interior light, radio etc. and go for a daytime run see what that does for it.

Peter Smith

Morning all, read my fault codes there this morning. Car is showing 22 and 23. Knock sensor and MAF circuit fault if im not mistaken. Is there any repairs to be done or is it a simple case of replace both? If so im looking for a knock sensor and a MAF for a 98 UK turbo 2000 haha.

I'd say hit the MAF first, could be incorrect fueling causing the knock problems?

Tryin to get my posts up here so here goes I had a similar problem car was throwing engine management up on my 99 classic impreza was a luvly car lol
    must get pics up along with my p1 project check your induction kit as mines was drawing some air in so if ya cornered hard check engine would come on and not go off till she settled but it turned out to be the the hose clip below my induction kit had started to wear through easy fix

15. Posting Permissions